Why when you over share value, educate or “coach” on your calls does it seem to lose the sale?
It’s not because you’re giving away all your secrets and now they don’t need you.
It’s because it’s overwhelming and confusing and a confused mind says no.
Sometimes people think “this makes me look like an expert” or “I will impress them with my knowledge and they’ll see I know what I’m doing.”
But keep in mind this is the first time your prospect is hearing what you’re selling.
So, too much info is overwhelming.
You’ll know you’ve done this incorrectly when you get a response like “this is a lot to think about and process. I’ll have to get back to you.”
AKA I feel stupid now and don’t have a clear idea of what I’m buying into so I just won’t buy it.
- You say “what’s not clear? Let me help”
- And they say “Nothing specific, it’s just a lot. Let me get back to you.”
AKA they’re so confused they don’t even know how to ask for clarity.
You can stop yourself from going into too much detail – even if it’s in response to a direct question they ask with phrases like:
- “it sounds like [this] is what’s happening, but I would need more information to know for sure”
- “That’s something we dig into when we work together”
- “We get deep into that in my program”
For example, someone wants to learn from you how to do Facebook ads and you start telling them all about how the pixel works.
- They think they’re being helpful but the prospect is thinking this is way over my head – I can’t do this.
- Instead, back it up to MUCH more high level and assume they know nothing.
Ask: “Have you ever gone to a website and seen an ad for that same website show up somewhere else? We show you how to do that and more.”
They don’t even need to know it’s called a pixel unless they have prior knowledge there is a pixel.
Another example would be telling someone why certain hormones are causing undesired responses like gaining weight or migraines.
Ex: It’s probably because your cortisol levels are high and it’s triggering a dopamine response that’s causing your body to go into famine mode.
- What? I have no idea what you’re going to help me with and I’m confused.
- Instead, let them know you have some ideas what the root cause here is but you can’t say for sure. It’s something you really dig into when you work together right from the start.
- If you’re a coach or consultant, there’s an even worse scenario where they try to implement what you share, but they don’t get it right (because of course) and then they think you’re full of it.
- For example, they ask you – what strategies have been working for my niche lately?
- And you say, well XYZ has been working great lately.
- They don’t understand the nuance of when to say what to who though.
So, when they implement it in a half-assed way and get no results and think well, that person’s strategy doesn’t work for me. On to the next one.
Instead, let them know I’ve worked with a lot of people in your niche before and XYZ types of things work but that’s something we would dig into when we work together because I don’t know for sure those would work for you. I would need more information.
This is something I will go into detail on in another post.
When my clients stop oversharing and going into the weeds like this and instead focus on the high level pieces you will achieve with your prospect – they start getting a “yes” from a minimum of 5 out 10 people they talk to.
If you’re only winning 1-2 out of 10 people you talk to, you can transform your business and income in my 6 month Matchmaker Sales™ mentorship where I help solopreneurs selling something that is $3k + to 2x-10x the number of people saying “yes” to their offers (the bigger your lead source – the bigger your ROI).
- In this powerful one-on-one/mastermind blend, we’ll also uncover how to have a sales conversation without pain or pitching. This includes a custom strategy for responding to the objections you get the most (as I discussed in this post).
- In addition to objection-handling, we also re-position the questions you ask so that they’re more about whether your prospects are a good fit and less about trying to uncover their pain.
- I also show you how to weave your pitch throughout the sales call in a way that the prospect never feels ‘sold’ but wants to buy. I even help you with tweaking your pre-qualification and marketing messaging so that you’re getting better prospects, ready to buy on your calls in the first place.
- In the end, you leave with a custom-to-you sales framework tweaked to perfection for your calls that fits your personality, audience and product like a glove and consistently gets 5-8 people out of 10 saying “yes” to working with you.
If interested in my mentorship, please book a call and we can discuss the details to make sure it’s a fit for you 🙂